Help to buy and shared ownership

Your home may be repossessed if you do not keep up repayments on your mortgage.
The value of pension and investments can fall as well as rise. You may get back less than you invested.
The Financial Conduct Authority do not regulate conveyancing

Shared Ownership gives first time buyers and those that do not currently own a home the opportunity to purchase a share in a new build or resales property. The purchaser pays a mortgage on the share they own, and pays rent to a housing association on the remaining share.

Because the purchaser only needs a mortgage for the share they are purchasing, the amount of money required for a deposit is a lot lower when compared to the amount that would be required when purchasing outright.

If you are buying a new property and struggling with sufficient deposit you may consider using the government help to buy scheme or shared ownership with the developer. If you need to go down either route we can process both types of purchase for you and help you with the paperwork. We can find you the most appropriate base mortgage to reflect your own deposit and make sure all aspects tie in to enable the purchase.

Both help to buy and shared ownership will mean either the housing association or the developer will retain ownership of a percentage of the property and will claim a portion of any gain you may make when selling the property. Help to buy and shared ownership are available both to First Time buyers and subsequent buyers on their main residence as long as you do not have any ownership in another property.

How does help to buy work?

Help to buy works as follows:

  • You need at least 5% of the sale price of your new-build flat or house as your deposit.
  • The government lends you up to 20%, or 40% if you live in London, of the sale price/valuation.
  • You can borrow the rest (up to 75%, or 60% if you live in London) from a mortgage lender, on a repayment basis only.
  • The equity loan must be repaid after 25 years, or earlier if you sell your home.
  • You must repay the same percentage of the proceeds of the sale as the initial equity loan (i.e. if you received an equity loan for 20% of the purchase price of your home, you must repay 20% of the proceeds of the future sale).


Whether you are buying or selling your home, an investment property or re-mortgaging to another lender, you are going to need a solicitor or conveyancer to deal with the legal work and ensure that everything is above board. The solicitor/conveyancer is there to make sure you are obtaining a good title to the property and that any leasehold, existing charges or easements over the property are investigated and reported back to you.

Mortgage Hunters works with a licenced solicitor firm and can provide you with a fixed price quote. You will have access to a confidential on-line system available 24/7 which will allow you to log in and see how the legal work is progressing. As we have worked with this firm for a number of years, we can liaise with them to assist in making sure the process runs smoothly. You may find our solicitor could save you money.

Looking for a mortgage for a help to buy or shared ownership property? Call 0845 270 668 for a FREE, no-obligation initial consultation today!

Scroll to Top